As you know, we at Viance are all about great nutrition and healthy recipes. Today we decided to share a recipe from one of our team members who’s not only into cooking nutritious food for herself, but she also cooks nutritious food for her dog…like made-from-scratch recipes…every week!
We thought this could be fun to share. If we find that you, too, are sharing this recipe, we’ll start to add some healthy “fun-for-dogs” recipes periodically to our blog!
She made the following recipe, which she calls “Peanut Butter Buddies,” last night and it was dog-tested, dog-approved and dog-gone-loved by her Bearded Collie, Flip-Flop. As she told us, “Yep, it’s totally a real tail-wagger!”
Peanut Butter Buddy Treats
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- ¼ cup of peanut butter (ideally natural)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of raw oats (oatmeal)
- Preheat oven to 375
- In large mixing bowl combine water, peanut butter & vegetable oil
- Gradually mix in flour & then the oatmeal
- Roll dough to ¼” thickness & cut with cookie cutter
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet & bake for 20-25 minutes for a soft cookie-consistency
- Bake up to 35 minutes for more of a hard, dog-biscuit consistency
- Cool & store in zip-lock bags until all are devoured by your 4-legged buddy
All of these ingredients are good for dogs. Peanut butter is not only a good source of protein, but it also contains heart healthy fats, vitamin B, niacin, and vitamin E. Peanut butter is rich in oil, protein and fatty acids. These ingredients, along with vitamins H and K, give dogs a shiny coat. Vitamin E also helps strengthen your dog’s immune system.
Oatmeal is a great source of soluble fiber, which can be especially beneficial to senior dogs with bowel irregularity issues. It has anti-inflammatory and skin-soothing properties, as well as a calming effect on the nervous system.
Okay, enough about dogs! If you are looking for a sweet, healthy snack for humans, you might want to try Viance’s delicious No-Bake Cocoa Chip Cookie Dough Balls recipe.