These eggplant rolls are so tender, you don’t even need a knife to cut them, they’ll just melt in your mouth.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: serves 4 to 6 (makes 12 rollatini)
Serving size: 3 rollatini
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 cup (9 oz/ 250 g jar) reduced fat ricotta
- 1 cup shredded light mozzarella, divided into two 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 9 oz / 250 g frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove as much liquid as possible
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove, germ removed, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup tomato or marinara sauce
- Fresh basil, parsley, oregano or your fave herb for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Remove eggplants’ ends and slice them thinly. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil and place 12 eggplant slices on it. You may need to use two baking sheet or bake eggplant in two batches depending on the size of your oven).
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and let cool.
- While eggplants are cooking, prepare ricotta/spinach mixture. In a bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella (1/2 cup), parmesan, spinach, egg and garlic.
- Mix well and season to taste.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Generously spread ricotta/spinach mixture on an eggplant slice (about two heaped tablespoons), roll it and arrange in prepared dish, seam side down.
- Continue with remaining eggplant.
- Top with remaining tomato sauce (1/2 cup) and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella (1/2 cup). Cover with foil, reduce oven to 350F and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve.
- Cal: 324 – Protein: 27.9g – Fat: 15.3g – Carbs: 22.4g – Fiber: 9g – Sugar: 10g