This is for all the ladies out there: you’ve probably heard a lot about “eating lean and clean” but might not know what it actually means.
Eating lean and clean is basically avoiding processed and refined foods and basing your diet on whole foods. It’s about eating several small meals per day (between 4-6) and a good split of 20% fat, 30% protein and 50% carbs, preferably from vegetables. So it’s not really a diet, but just changing your relationship with food and making some changes in your lifestyle.
1. All food must be fresh – this means nothing in a packet, nothing manufactured, nothing reconstituted, and definitely nothing labelled “diet”, “light” or “low fat”.
2. Consume 2-4 cups of veggies per day. Spinach, broccoli, kale, cucumbers, zucchini, whatever you enjoy most!
3. Drink at least 1 gallon of water everyday.
4. 30% of your daily food intake should come from lean protein and you need to eat a portion of protein with every meal. This will help stabilize your blood sugar levels and keep you feeling satisfied. For example, try to eat either chicken, turkey fish, tofu, soy, egg whites, cottage cheese or natural yogurt.
5. Yeah, it’s important to have enough good fats, but it’s easy to go overboard. Stick to ¼ to ½ an avocado, and a small handful of almonds and the fat found in your protein as your daily maximum allowance.
6. Try to avoid starchy carbs, especially if they aren’t brown or whole grain, such as bread, pasta, white rice and pastries.
7. Alcohol is a no go when you’re trying to eat lean and clean. It stops your body from burning fat until all the acetone from the alcohol is out of your system. While this is happening, your metabolism slows down.
8. Eat small meals regularly every few hours instead of a couple of huge meals that leave you feeling super full.
9. Nutritional shakes are great if the powder is 100% natural, which can be hard to find. Check out Viance’s Vitality Blend, which is a nutritional shake powder packed with energy superfoods that is 100% natural, organic and GMO-free.
10. Get creative in the kitchen and mix up your cooking techniques. Play around with new recipes. Check out some of these healthy recipes to start with and most importantly, have fun!
So if you want to get closer to that bikini body you envy on magazine covers with summer rolling around, or just shed off a few pounds while toning up, slowly using some of the above tips will help you get there. Remember, it’s all about changing your lifestyle, NOT dieting!