An average American needs to incorporate lots of fruits and vegetables into their diet in order to meet the dietary requirements. Why? Because most of the foods we’re eating today are empty calories – that means the food we eat is filled with starch, carbs, fats, salt, and sugars….but contains little to no nutritional benefit. They make us full but the fail to make us healthy. If they don’t meet these nutritional needs, they likely go to the doctor with some sort of disease, and the doctor will recommend two things: medication and supplements
Medication doesn’t solve the problem, it only puts a bandaid on it. Supplements are expensive and usually artificial. The good thing is that there’s another option: SUPERFOODS. Most superfoods are not only affordable, but also known to be loaded with vitamins, minerals, proteins and antioxidants that the body needs to stay healthy and ward off diseases permanently.
The world is facing an obesity epidemic due to the saturation of processed foods in the market. These foods encourages weight gain while superfoods result to weight loss. There is a need for us to return to the basics, go natural and choose foods free of additives and artificial ingredients.
A lot of healthy options are available in the market, but some of us may choose to ignore them. The good news is it’s not yet too late to take the first step to Nutrition Revolution. Let’s share this superfood shopping list to help you navigate your supermarkets with ease! 🙂
- Almond is very rich in vitamin E, magnesium, calcium, iron and phosporus. This is great for proper brain development. It is also frequently used as an alternative solution to relieve constipation, coughs and respiratory disorders, diabetes, heart diseases, anemia and even impotency. Eating almonds promotes healthy skin, teeth and hair. To top it all, it is delicious and may be eaten raw or mixed with other recipes.
- Apple. The old caption, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, is so old yet still holds true. This luscious fruit has many varieties and is crunchy and sweet. This super fruit is packed with phytonutrients and antioxidants that made it a favorite among health buffs. Eating an apple a day can help strengthen bones, reduce discomforts in asthma patients, prevent certain cancers and Alzheimer’s disease, lower cholesterol level and obtain optimal health.
- Apricot is often taken for granted but nevertheless it is as healthy as other superfoods. Apricot is a great diet food.
- Avocado is a great source of healthy fats (i.e. monounsaturated fats) that can easily be burned for energy. Avocado has more than 20 essential nutrients that bring health benefits.
- Banana is a satisfying fruit that is very rich in potassium.
- Beets are good sources of iron and provide immunity booster against cancer. These are very healthy with zero trans and saturated fats. It can even satisfy your cravings for sweets without harming your body.
- Berries are so little yet these superfoods are packed with antioxidants and vitamins.
- Cabbage is a versatile vegetable that can be eaten either raw or cooked and very delicious. It is ideal for weight loss and other health benefits include skin care, gout, headache, constipation, eczema, stomach ulcers and jaundice. It is very rich in phytonutrients and vitamins.
- Carrots are very rich in beta carotene and are good for the eyes. This crunchy and attractive vegetable is great for salads. It may be used for dressing, cooking and baking, and may be eaten raw.
- Cherries can help slow down the aging process.
- Chia Seeds. These may appear tinybut do not underestimate its benefits. These seeds are very good source of omega-3 fatty acids that are very good for the heart. It is also rich in protein, fiber and healthy fats.
- Coconut is said to be one of the most versatile superfoods which can be taken as oil, flakes, milk, or sweetener. It is ideal for cooking and baking. Even the coconut juice has its own health benefits.
- Dark chocolate. Who doesn’t love chocolate? This is not only healthy but very delicious and also versatile. It carries cardiovascular benefits, reduces the risk of cancer and slows down the aging process.
- Eggs encourage weight loss and contain good cholesterol. It is a good source of protein and rich in nutrients. This superfood is a favorite because of its versatility.
- Flax seeds are considered a powerhouse of nutrients to strengthen the immune system. This seed is next in line to chia seeds in terms of nutritional value. It helps promote good digestion.
- Garlic is a superfood ever present in our kitchen. This humble spice helps lower blood pressure and cholesterol, kill certain bacteria and fight cancer.
- Grapes are delicious and satisfying. Eating these help in blood circulation, fight cancer and kidney stones also good for the eyes. It contains vitamins and antioxidants.
Other food items that you may want to include in your shopping list are the following: artichokes, bell peppers, kale, kiwi, lemons, limes, mushrooms, oats, yogurt, oranges, papayas, pineapples, spinach, pumpkin, peaches, sweet potatoes, walnuts, pomegranade, mangoes, tomatoes, spirulina and wild caught salmon.
If you are too busy to go down the aisle and pick your superfoods one by one, you may try the healthy alternatives from Viance Nutrition. We offer healthy and delicious meal replacement products that are packed with essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals needed for optimal health. Start your Nutrition Revolution today!